We believe in a cancer free future. There are things that we can all do every day to help make this happen. Together with our volunteers, supporters, stakeholders and staff, we are committed to reducing the impact of cancer on individuals and the community, and to lessening the burden for people affected by cancer.
Every year in NSW alone, more than 48,000 new cases of cancer are expected to be diagnosed, and the impact on families, carers and communities is significant. Cancer Council is the only charity to work across every area of every cancer, from research to prevention and support. We help people from the point of diagnosis through to treatment and survivorship.
How we put your funds to work
With your help, here's what we achieved last year.
- We contributed $18.7m to conduct and fund world-class research across all stages of the cancer journey.
- 61,000 Australian lives have been saved by improvements in cancer prevention, screening and treatment over the past 20 years.
- 660,000 people visited healthylunchbox.com.au to find nutritious recipe ideas for kids.
- 81% of NSW primary school children were protected from the harmful effects of the sun through SunSmart program.
- 38 organisations participated in our Tackling Tabacco program.
Providing information & support
- 2,850 people recieved help with household expenses through our Financial Assistance Program.
- 10,400 calls and emails were made to Cancer Council's 13 11 20 Information and Support service.
- 210,000+ Understanding Cancer resources were distributed.
Advocating on cancer isssues
- 31,000 CanAct Community supporters
- Chemotherapy co-payments abolished
- Ban on commercial solariums now in effect
- Smoking ban in all outdoor dining areas now in place